Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Why I gave up secular music.

I love music.  Maybe a bit too much, or maybe I don't like the music but the music likes me.  Either way, I can hear a song once and know every line (sometimes).  This phenomena seems to happen more when I am not trying.  For example (at the risk of sounding lame) I picked up Kanye West's Gold Digger from hearing it play in downtown Philadelphia storefronts. Over the course of one weekend I knew every word.  I would sing it so much that my my wife (then girlfriend) bought me the CD as a gag.  Considering how much I dislike rap music I cannot explain why things like this happen, but they do.

Anyway, for me just driving with the radio on is an opportunity for something to bore it way into my head only to be regurgitated repeatedly for weeks, months, or possibly years to come.

Most importantly is the fact that I just suck.  I might like to think that I am better than music but it often gets the best of me.  Besides the language when I repeat of messages about sex, drugs, and violence they begin to effect me.  Not cool, and maybe you are better than that, but I am not.  The choice I made is not easy for me but, I would prefer to repeat even a poorly written Christan song (not all are) over something like Gold Digger, or even a masterfully written song about sex or any other vice.  Besides nothing is more awesome than Christ.

1 John 5:18 We know tha everyone who has been born of God does not keep on sinning, but he who was born of God protects him, and the evil one does not touch him.

No comments:

Post a Comment