Friday, November 11, 2011

Discernment

A Follow Up to Excuses Excuses

To truly understand if discerning is a poor excuse for me to use to withhold my time and money, I wanted to understand what the word means.

Merriam-Webster definition of discern
1a : to detect with the eyes b : to detect with senses other than vision
2: to recognize or identify as separate and distinct : discriminate
3: to come to know or recognize mentally

While Webster is great for a basic understanding, it is just as important get more depth from the original language.  In the New Testament there are 5 Greek words that have been translated into a form of discern.  While I am no expert of Greek, what is clear to me is that is that all of these words contain or suggest the idea of judging.

It isn't a big stretch to go from Webster's definition focusing on recognition to the concept of judgment, however, if the Webster included another definition like 4: to judge to prove by investigation, I might think twice about using the term so commonly.  At the very least I should try to put more effort into discernment.  I hope our Judges and Investigators are skilled discerners, who don't just jump to conclusions like I always do.

In the New Testament scriptures, the word discern or a form of (discernment, discerning, etc.) is used 9 times in the ESV, and 7 times in the King James.

ESV:
Luke 1:29, Romans 12:2, 1 Corinthians 1:19, 1 Corinthians 2:14, 1 Corinthians 11:29, Ephesians 5:10, Philippians 1:9, Hebrews 4:12, Hebrews 5:14

King James:
Matthew 16:3, Luke 12:56, 1 Corinthians 2:14, 1 Corinthians 11:29, 1 Corinthians 12:10, Hebrews 4:12, Hebrews 5:14

In bold are the verses that are common to both translations.

The word discernment is most often used to describe how one perceives the current time or more specifically their ability to understand the coming and significance of the Messiah, what is pleasing to God, or understanding good from evil.  I do not see anything that suggests we should be using discernment in giving situations.

Of these my favorite reveals the foolishness of my wisdom.  Luke 12:54-56: And he said also to the people, When ye see a cloud rise out of the west, straightway ye say, There cometh a shower; and so it is.  55And when ye see the south wind blow, ye say, There will be heat; and it cometh to pass. 56Ye hypocrites, ye can discern the face of the sky and of the earth; but how is it that ye do not discern this time?

It reminds me how I am quick to judge my surrounding because I am so obviously wise (sarcasm), and miserably fail (painful truth) to see God's hand and works all around me.

While this does entirely rule out discernment as a biblical principal that we should apply to giving, it clearly does not support it.  A further examination of of giving Alms will be necessary to more completely credit or discredit my use of discernment as an excuse, but so far it is not looking to good.  I probably should start looking for another excuse, or maybe just start doing....

My final thought for this post.  If discerning is judging, then in light of 1 Corinthians 5:9-13 could we apply it to situations when interacting with the clearly unsaved, and to what degree? And why don't we talk more about discernment in and of church matters more?

1 Corinthians 5:9-13
I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— 10 not at all meaning the sexually immoral of this world, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. 11But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one. 12For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge? 13God judges those outside.



3 comments:

  1. So, in light of Rom 12:2 - because we have been made new by the regenerating power of the Spirit of God we will be tested (put in different situation that would include giving to those who ask for something or giving Alms or time or talent...) we are to discern (try and investigate by judging and taking the entire situation into account and act on the result of that investigation which could be a moment or more lengthy) what God's desire for that specific situation might be or what is good and pleasing to God?

    It sounds like we are to judge or investigate or discern each situation where we can sacrifice for God and others (specifically the Brothers) and act on the result or our conclusion of the investigated or judged situation.

    We can know what God's will is by studying and acting on His revealed Word so when that individual daily occurrence come up we will be able to discern and make a decision which will be in the will and/or pleasing to God.

    This is why constant immersion in God's Word and prayer are so important and a constant reminder to me how ridiculous I so often am about coming up with excuses as to why I am not spending more and more and more time studying and in prayer.

    How can we lead a meeting of believers if we are not investigating and judging what we are spending the resources, time and talent we have been given on? And is what we are spending our time, talent and treasure in the will of and pleasing to God?

    Nice post Josh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree that knowledge (study) is the first step towards discernment, and that prayer and dedication to the word can lead to wisdom. Wisdom of course is the appropriate use of knowledge, without which we cannot appropriately discern what is truly pleasing to God.

    As individuals we all could use more wisdom and a better understanding of discernment. We can never get enough of the Word.

    But... I do have to ask.

    Should we sacrifice more for our brothers or more for the lost? This is I think an area we can probably present both sides and never have one conclusive answer.

    On a side note: Safety in numbers is another excuse I've used, but I do think there might be a difference to the application of discernment in the Church as a body vs in our personal lives.

    Jesus came for the sick, weak, and poor. I can think of no one else sicker or more poor than those who do not believe. For me, this is probably enough of a case to say that my sacrifices should be greater to those who do not believe or those who are not firm in there faith. (Although maybe that is more of the church and we would like to admit.)

    I am not saying we should forgo caring for or forget out brothers. Christian relationships should be upheld to the same standards as the relationship between David and Johnathan. However, if I had to choose to between making the ultimate sacrifice for believers or non believers, my choice would be for those who do not believe. At least I hope it would be. The unsaved clearly need more.

    At times I spend too much time "discerning" over the small and not enough on the big. I'm always quicker to give my money to a charity than to a neighbor. If a homeless man asks me for food what should I do? Do I offer to take him to these same charities? Is that not what the Water Street Rescue Mission is for? At the same time I have to ask couldn't I do more myself to meet his need or am I more concerned with ridding myself of the unpleasant smell and the most unwanted desire of being empathetic.

    I believe there's a fine line between working in accord to achieve the greatest good and consciously (and even subconsciously) distancing ourselves from harsh realities.

    At one point every christian home had or would make a place for any weary traveler (strangers) to stay, in addition they would feed them and offering anything else they could to assist them.

    Today we wouldn't dare let a stranger in our homes, or even make eye contact with them...

    So this is sort of getting off topic and kind of leading into my next post about Alms so I'll stop and conclude with this. You are absolutely right! As a body of believers we need to be carefully considering how we use all of our resources. However, individually I think there is a different standard that looks more altruistic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed!! AND ultimately the need of the lost is to hear the gospel. The meeting of the physical or mental needs of the lost are or should be an outpouring of the gospel but not the gospel. I think this is where many "charities", even church outreach misses the mark. We aren't or can't bring Christ's Kingdom.

    Like you said the lost need to be served and we as individuals (ME!!!) need to meet those needs and ultimately I think we agree that the END is God's people proclaiming to the needy the gospel. God's great plan to save for Himself a people by Himself (Trinitarian though).

    God is the Savior of the needy!! Jesus was a great example but ultimately he is King!! He could have met all the needs of the poor and weary and sick and dying but He did not.

    He offers Salvation from humanities ultimate sickness and disease SIN to all and uses those He has healed (from sin and death) to proclaim and explain how He does that (THE GOSPEL!!). I can meet a lost person's need or the traveler's need by sacrificing something I have been given but if I don't proclaim the gospel to them I side-stepped (FAILED)in the ultimate END!!

    So I guess I need to proclaim and explain the gospel to the lost, sick, needy, poor and dying while I give more to them as an outpouring of the gospel message I believe.

    I guess ultimately I should be discerning (investigating and judging) each encounter I have with a person or situation I encounter in light of God's plan to save a people.

    Pretty simple, right? It should be!!!!!

    ReplyDelete